Friday, June 19, 2009

Things I Learn as a Consulting Firm Intern

Can I just say how proud I am that the title of this entry rhymes? Sorry. Just had to throw that out there.

So, it turns out that when you spend 8 hours a day reading articles, you learn a lot. Here are some of the most interesting/unusual things I have learned;

  • While investigating programs for the elderly, I learned that "dementia" is defined as "mental confusion". Somehow, I feel like they were missing a few components to that definition. At least, I hope they´re missing something. Because if not, you could say that I'm pretty demented right now. "Mentally confused"...as opposed to what? Physically confused? As in, I thought that was my leg, but actually it's my arm? What other kind of confused is there? Well...maybe existentially confused...okay, clearly I'm spending too much time thinking about this. Moving on.

  • While researching immigration policy, I read in depth about how to make a Molotov cocktail...just to clarify, the Molotov cocktail wasn´t part of the immigration policy itself.

  • I also learned, in a meeting with my boss, that I´m basically seeking to construct a solution to all major social welfare issues for the state of Catalunya, who is our client. No pressure. Just me and Carles. Taking on the crises of Spain.

  • The White House has created an Office for Social Innovation! Which they refuse to publish anything about. Thanks, White House. Thanks a friggin lot.

  • Turns out Google Books can get you articles for free that you would otherwise have to pay 60€ for. Suck on that, OECD!

  • While talking with Roc and Xavier, I discovered that the Spanish kiss both cheeks, the Argentinians kiss only one, the French kiss three times, and then Roc joked that in Catalunya, where I am right now, they kiss five times. Ha ha. I almost thought he was serious. If he had been, I would have been like, no. No, they don´t. Not when I'm around.
On a side note, took a nap today (today being Friday) for two hours. Woke up feeling awful. Went into the kitchen, ate a donut-shaped peach (melocoton), and it was like panacea. Magic. Sooo goood!!!

I then proceeded to eat two more of them. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Em.

    Well I have read your very amusing blog site. I will point out that I have violated my "no blog" existence by venturing into your online journal. When I was your age . . . had to say it.

    The entries have a nice progression to them. You are clearly not jetlagged any more and are seeing the humor in the cultural difference more as you settle in.

    I love and miss you. Your internship in Barcelona could truly be the only event that would finally get me on a blog and Skype. Now it may be time to acquiesce and, oh my god, access Facebook!

    Skype you tomorrow, Hugs & KISSES,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete